Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My First Question! And it's a Doozy...


Q:

Dear Centex Organics,
Will my decomposing loved one work as an organic fertilizer? I would think that if they're not embalmed it wouldn't deteriorate the integrity of my soil but I've been unable to find any hard data on whether human remains will improve my gardening.
Sincerely,
Die Hard Organic


A:

Dear DHO,

No-questions-asked-information, that's what you'll get here! Just make sure he's really shaken loose his mortal coil first, I don't want any part of a live composting. To answer your question though, not really. A good garden compost--one in which you are going to grow edibles--should not contain any kind of dairy, meat, or fat. Part of the reason is that the smell will attract unwanted critters to your compost such as rats, skunks, raccoons, and curious homicide detectives. The other reason is that they can contain harmful bacteria that will not be properly neutralized in a typical garden compost pile. The hair and nails are fine though. Now if you are just growing flowers, trees, or shrubbery, not meant for any food crops, you may consider an eco-burial. It's all the rage in Sweden:

http://www.promessa.se/index_en.asp

Or if you want, you can spend money on a special high-heat composter that decomposes meat, neutralizes bacteria, and contains the smell.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/how-to-compost-meat.html

My condolences on your loss, and thanks for reading!

~CTOGC


No comments:

Post a Comment